for Oxford’s homeless community.
New day and time: 7.30pm Wednesdays
Eligibility & Referral
If you’re reading this website and you are over 18, you are very likely eligible
Meditation has been used to reduce the likelihood of depression repeating, strengthen lungs, lift mood, bring calm, improve mood, and more.
Since launch in June 2022 people with lived experience of homelessness, sector volunteers and staff have all met up to meditate together.
This group now runs free-of-charge meditation sessions in the centre of Oxford every week. Here, you can:
- share hot tea
- get a sense of community
- meet new people
- meditate silently with others for 30 minutes
For beginners they offer an intro. There’s also time to ask questions about meditation and find out how to improve.
This group is here for you if:
- you have ever experienced living with no home, or
- you are staff in Oxfordshire’s homeless sector, or
- you volunteer in the sector
- free to use
- not from a particular religion or tradition
- easy to understand
This project is run by volunteers who met through other work in the homeless sector. The volunteers:
- encourage you to take up your own regular meditation practise for your own benefit
- support you doing this as best they can
- seek to inspire you to think in new ways without anyone telling you what to think
Group motto: “It’s your meditation practise. You stay in control. Do what’s best for you.”
You can join any week and drop into, and out of, their sessions as much as you like. They don’t run the ten-week mindfulness course, MBSR or MBCT. No specific training is provided at the sessions. Instead, if you do want something more structured, they have their own material you can follow. This has been put together specifically for this meditation group. It is completely optional, and free. More details on their website.
Key functions & activities offered
- free weekly meditation sessions in central Oxford
- free material on their blog
- taster sessions at local charities
- a short weekly email newsletter every Friday at 3pm, with tips, details for the week ahead
The group relies on gifts and handles no funds. If you’d like to donate a meditation cushion or mat, let them know.